Fans of “The Foot Fist Way” and the HBO series “Eastbound & Down,” are you sick of Danny McBride yet? If you’re not, then jump for joy that the comic actor is reuniting with director Jody Hill, his collaborator on those two former (or in the case of “E&D,” ongoing) projects. According to Variety, McBride will star in Hill’s next film “L.A.P.I.,” in which he’ll play a hardboiled detective.
The idea for the action comedy surprisingly did not come from Hill, McBride or their usual co-writer, Ben Best. Instead it will be based on a pitch from Michael Diliberti and Matthew Sullivan, who are also working together on the upcoming 10th film incarnation of “Brewster’s Millions.” Whether their pitch or script will be fine-tuned by the “Foot Fist Way” team or co-producer David Gordon Green is unclear.
When I first noticed McBride years ago in Green’s “All the Real Girls,” I never would have guessed he’d one day be a movie star. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. He’s brilliant in small parts like “Bust-Ass” in that film and more recently as the groom with cold feet in “Up in the Air.” And he’s been fine in minor roles in “Tropic Thunder,” Green’s “Pineapple Express” and Hill’s last effort, “Observe and Report.” But I worry he’s becoming overexposed.
Last year’s flop “Land of the Lost” was a sign that he might not be ready for big Hollywood productions. And as much as I’m excited for him to reunite with Zooey Deschanel, the upcoming medieval stoner comedy “Your Highness” (written by McBride and Best, directed by Green) looks like it could be another miss for the guy — though I’m remaining hopeful about it.
As much as I want to love him, McBride is mostly a one-note sort of character actor. Still, I can see him perfectly inhabiting the persona of a “beaten-down” private investigator, though I hope he doesn’t go too loud and excessively foul-mouthed this time around. Otherwise it’s just basically going to be Kenny Powers ditching the baseball uniform for a trenchcoat and fedora.
Are you a fan of Danny McBride? Do you hope he continues to rise as a lead comic actor or do you prefer to see him in small roles?
- ‘Survivor’ Star Accused of Battering a Woman
- ‘Apprentice’ and ‘Love’ star Bret Michaels suffers brain hemorrhage
- Star of ‘The Office’ to write book of comic essays
- Merchandise: Lego Star Wars – Hot Wolf – Mad Hatter
- OU Hoops Star To Go Pro After Investigation
- The Verdict: Star Wars: The Sitcom? and Sigourney Weaver Cries Oscar Sexism
- ‘Kirstie Alley’s Big Life’ star Kirstie Alley vows to lose the weight, again
- ‘Big Life’ star Kirstie Alley vows to lose the weight, again
- ‘Gossip Girl’ star Chace Crawford quits ‘Footloose’ motion picture remake
- ‘True Blood’ Star Stephen Moyer Blames HBO for Relationship With Anna Paquin
Submited at Saturday, February 6th, 2010 at 1:01 am on Movies by
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback